Throughout the history of Oracle Corporation, there has been constant evolution and positive change in the organization unlike most major companies.
Founded in 1977, it started off with the concept of building a relational database company and for more than 3 decades now, it has been the leader in
the database software industry with more than 420,000 customers and deployments in more than 145 countries with more than 10,500 employees around the globe.
For all that we know about Oracle Corporation, there are some interesting facts few people know about. Here are ten of them. Let us take a closer look into it.
- The original name of Oracle was Software Development Laboratories in 1977; they switched the name to Relational Software Inc. in 1979. It was Oracle Systems Corporation in 1982 after the project they won with CIA was declassified, and in 1995 they changed the name to Oracle Corporation as is known today.
- Oracle nearly went bankrupt in the 1990s and had to lay off hundreds of employees due to several class-action lawsuits.
- Larry Ellison, the founder of Oracle, owned several aircraft and two military jets whiles a licensed pilot himself.
- The wedding photograph for Larry Ellison and Malanie Craft was actually taken by the Apple founder, Steve Jobs.
- The former site of Oracle’s headquarters was the Marine World Africa USA amusement park.
- 98 percent of Lanai, Hawaii’s sixth-largest island was purchased by Larry Ellison
- Larry Ellison is declared to be the richest man in California, the majority of his wealth comes from the 22.5% shares he owns in his company.
- Oracle is known to be a sponsor to the Golden State Warriors. Golden State Warriors are an American professional basketball team based in Oakland, California with the team home court at Oracle Arena previously named as Oakland Arena.
- Larry Ellison enjoys outdoor activities such as boat racing and mountain biking. He owns a 452-foot yacht which is the fourth largest in the world.
- There was never a version 1 of Oracle database. Larry Ellison called the new software as Oracle database version 2.